Saturday, March 24, 2012

Temple Square

Leah is in a phase where she really likes temples. And she has always loved our picture of the Christus and other pictures of Jesus. So when Ross had a Friday off of work, we decided to take a trip up to Temple Square so we could show Leah all the beautiful things they there. And since my parents would only have my niece, Makynlee that day, we invited them to come along too.

As usual, Leah and Kynnie were very excited to see each other and had a blast exploring Temple Square together. Here they are checking out the Temple steps.
They loved throwing pennies in the fountain and would have thrown pennies in all day if we would have had enough. We took them inside to show them some of the displays. They loved running around to check things out...and I literally mean RUNNING. These two girls ran all over any chance we let them! (We did have a stroller for each of them, but they didn't spend much time in them unless we were walking outside.) Here they are pausing with Grandma and Grandpa to play with the touch screens.
They both were fascinated with the escalators and couldn't wait to go on them. Once they did go on them, we had a hard time keeping them away from them. They weren't as excited about looking at the displays. So for a while my parents just took them off to a corner where they could just run and play. Those silly girls just chased each other around and around and around a pillar. They probably got themselves pretty dizzy.
I was surprised actually when we went up to see the Christus statue. I thought it would be Leah's favorite part since she loves the picture so much. Her and Kynnie ran up the ramp ahead of the rest of us and she got to the top she got one glimpse of the statue, stopped dead in her tracks, turned right around and immediately insisted that someone hold her. I took her up close to the statue, but she was still pretty unsure of the whole thing. I even tried to get her to touch the foot of the statue, but she adamantly refused. And even when I tried to put her hand on it for her, she still did everything her her power NOT to touch it. I'm pretty sure it was the size of the statue that intimidated her. It is so much bigger than what she is used to seeing on our wall. Needless to say, I didn't get any pictures of her with the Christus statue.

Before going back to the cars, we did let them play in the reflection pool. They were a little unsure at first, but after I showed them how to splash their hands in the water, they loved it. And it didn't take long at all before they were both pretty wet!
It will be nice to go back again with Leah is a little older and can appreciate more of the great things that Temple Square has to offer. But in the meantime, we had fun just enjoying this fun stage that she's in now.

1 comment:

Cindy Anderson said...

What a fun trip for Miss Leah. :)