At the end of April I got to enjoy one of my favorite traditions, BYU Women's Conference. I debated blogging about this because I didn't have any pictures from it (mostly because I know my mom hates having her picture taken), but I wanted to make sure it was something that I remembered.
I was introduced to Women's Conference by Lesley's mom many years ago (I think this was my 13th time going). Over the years I have enjoyed spending that time with Lesley, her mom and her sisters who are like family to me. Then several years ago my mom decided to come too and has been joining with us for the event ever since.
This year was different, however, because Lesley's mom is currently serving a mission in Nauvoo, IL. So of course she couldn't make it. And for various reasons, Lesley and her sisters decided not to come this year either. But this turned out ok because that meant that I got to spend two days of one-on-one time with my mom (something I don't get very often).
For those who don't know, BYU Women's Conference is a two-day event where about 15,000 women (and a handful of men) take over the BYU campus. Each day starts and ends with a general session in the Marriott Center with three hours of break-out sessions in between. Each session focuses on various gospel related subjects like overcoming trials, improving marriages, strengthing families, relying on the Lord, etc. The crowds can be rather daunting, but after so many years of experience, I have learned several "tricks of the trade" that help me avoid the throngs. (I hardly ever had to wait in line for the bathroom!)
One of my mom and I's favorite things about Women's Conference is all the service opportunities. There are several places on campus where you can work on a service project while you listen to the speakers. And on Thursday evening after the general session they have even more service projects for all the women to work on. This year we helped make yarn beanies, keepsake envelopes and fleece blankets.
Thursday night after the service, they have a concert with several LDS performers. In the past, the concert hasn't really been my favorite part. Typically the most amusing part for me was watching a bunch of middle-aged and older women go gaga over these artists like they were the latest teen sensation. But this year, to honor the 170th anniversary of Relief Society, they did a tribute to the legacy of Relief Society. And I really enjoyed it. It was a great reminder of just what Relief Society is really about and the amazing strength we can gain from our sisterhood. Towards the end, they had the audience join in singing "As Sisters in Zion" and I was feeling the spirit so strong that I couldn't even sing.
I did get a couple pictures with my camera at the concert. Apparently they had a bunch of battery opperated candles that people could grab by the doors, but my mom and I totally missed them. But it was still cool to see them all lit up symbolizing how we all share our "light" through Relief Society.
I'm so glad that I've been able to go to Women's Conference all these years. I love the spiritual boost it gives me, the spirit of sisterhood I feel, the service I get to give, and most of all the time I get to spend some of my favorite women. I would love it if my sisters or sister-in-laws came too, but I really do like this time I get to spend with my mom. And the BYU brownies are really good too!!!


No comments:
Post a Comment