Sunday, July 17, 2011

Girls Camp at Mia Shalom

July 5th - 9th I got to spend the week with some of my very favorite teenage girls and young women leaders! It was my first year (and hopefully not my last) at Camp Mia Shalom. Here's a few of the highlights from my week...

Shortly after we got there on Tuesday, we got to spend time at "Water Front." This picture is one of the two great girls who canoed me around the lake (more like a large pond) telling me funny their funny jokes. They did a great job of not tipping us over, although I did get a paddleful of water a couple of times.
Here are two of the GREATEST camp leaders EVER!!! I am so blessed to serve with such wonderful women. I know that I spent countless hours getting ready for camp. But what I did was just a drop in the bucket compared to what the other leaders at camp did for these girls, especially Sister Brown. I got to know her so much better through camp this year. She is an amazing example to me of selfless service and love.
We also have amazing young women leaders in the stake. Here's a picture of our WONDERFUL young women's president (in the white hat) with two of the stake leaders (the one in the cowboy hat is her sister). This woman gives so much of her personal time to taking care of our girls. She loves them so much and is also a great example to me.
The Stake theme this year was "Happily Ever After" based on President Uchtdorf's May 2010 talk given to the young women. So our ward's theme was "Daughters of  a King, Queens in the Making." Our value was Integrity and our color was purple. We has so much fun with the fun princess stuff we could do. Here we are making our own tiaras out of a headband, wires and purple beads...
This is my cute Beehive President. This picture sums up her personality so well. This girl is always happy and is a great example to the other girls. Gotta love this outfit. She wore outfits similar to this all week long. She kept us entertained with her clothes ensembles.
Here's another one of my cute Beehives all dressed in her purple stuff...She's also a girl who always has a smile to share.
Here's a picture of our fearless leaders and a couple other girls getting ready for flag ceremony one morning. Our camp cook is on the far right. She goes camping all the time with her family, but we found out that it actually her husband who does the cooking on their trips. So she had to have a crash course in dutch oven cooking from him before coming up to camp. I thought she did a great job! And she was so much fun to be with at camp. Not only did she keep us well fed, but she kept us well entertained too!
Here I am in all my purple too...

On Wednesday we took the girls on a hike. It ended up lasting about 3 hours and we figured it was about 4-5 miles. But the girls were real troopers. They did so well on the hike. As leaders we were amazed at how well they did. Don't let this picture deceive you though...the girls are actually going up the hill backwards in this picture. One of the few times I got to see their faces while hiking.
I stayed in the back to make sure none of the girls got left behind. So this is the view of the girls that I got throughout the hike...
I have the best Beehives! Here are some of them entertaining the crowd with their crazy camp songs while we are waiting for everyone else to join us for flag ceremony one night. I'm pretty sure they are doing "The Beaver Song" here. I love that we get to see the girls enjoying pure happiness!!!
For skits on Friday we did a "hair session." Almost everyone got their hair braided or done up cute. These are a couple of my Beehives again. The one in front was the evil queen in our version of "Sleeping Beauty" so she got to have her hair done all crazy!
Here's some of the girls doing a team building activity down by the lake. For this activity each side had to take turns pulling the ropes to make the A-frame "walk" across the field. It was tricky at first, but the girls did pretty good once they got the hang of it.
Here we are singing our song "Daughter of a King" as part of our value presentation on Friday evening. I hadn't really heard the song before getting ready for camp. But now that I know it really well, I love it. It is a beautiful song with an even more beautiful message. It made me tear up a lot when we sang it. I hope the girls remember this song and really take the words to heart. They truly are Daughters of The King, our wonderful Heavenly Father!
I loved my camp experience and would do it all over again if I had the chance. It was so nice to get away from all the distractions of everyday life and to be up in the mountains where you could see God's beautiful creations and feel so close to the Spirit. My favorite time up there was testimony meeting. It was beautiful to hear these girls bear such sweet testimonies and know that they were feeling the Spirit so strongly. I hope that is a feeling that they remember and can recognize for the rest of their lives.

In case you are wondering, Leah and Ross did just fine while I was gone. It's great that Ross has so much time off in the summer. He did have to go to teach summer school three of the days, but he had plenty of people around to help him take care of Leah when he needed them.

I want to add one other experience that happened while I was at girls camp, mostly for my own memories so that I don't forget this great blessing, so if you have reach this point of my post and are getting bored, go ahead and quit reading...the Saturday before I left, we discovered that our hot water heater was leaking. Not enough to do any damage, but enough that we knew it needed replacing soon. Since it was a holiday weekend, we knew we didn't want to call a repairman until at least Tuesday (when I would be gone.) Normally I am around to help in these kinds of things, but this time Ross had to take care of it himself. We had talked to my family and did a little research online about cost of water heaters, so we were expecting to pay about $500-$1000. So when Ross had a person from a nearby store come look at it, he was shocked when the price quote was $1700! But as Ross and the repairman got talking, they chatted about how Ross worked in education and how I was away at girls camp. I guess the guy decided to take pity on our situation ( I like to think he was inspired to help us) but he told Ross "[The company I work for] isn't going to like this, but I have a friend who can do this for you for only $600." Needless to say, Ross got the name and number of the friend and on that Friday the new water heater was installed and is working great! Now I realize that we could have gone to another company to get a better price quote. But I really feel like we were blessed to have it work out this way because I was away serving at girls camp and that this is just one more way that he Lord has shown me that He is always there to take care of us when we are doing what He has asked us to do. I love the gospel and all the great ways that it blesses my life!!!

1 comment:

Stephanie Salmon said...

Okay, this post was awesome for me! Even though it made me sad to think that I wasn't there, it brought back so many memories of 2 years ago when I got to go to Girl's Camp. I loved it so much and it looks like you did too! Glad everything worked out well back home while you were gone.