I signed Leah up for a tumbling class at our local recreation center. She went twice a week for five weeks and absolutely loved it. She actually took the class about a year ago. She liked it then, and often asked when she would have tumbling class again. So I wasn't surprised that she did so well with it. Last year I had to stay close to her and help keep her on task. This time I could just send her out there and she did a great job listening to the teachers and following instructions.
Leah has some pretty good athletic talent. She can run fast and has good coordination for someone her age. She could climb and jump and throw with the best of them. I'm sure the past 3+ years of climbing all over our furniture and running amok all over our house has helped enhanced her skills. Dance lessons probably helped too.
Leah loved her teacher, "Teacher Janice" (she's helping her do a back flip in the picture below). She did great with the two assistant teachers too, but Teacher Janice was her favorite. She always made sure she said goodbye to her and sometimes even wanted to give her a hug when she left. Janice is great with the kids and, as a parent, she is one if my favorite parts of the class. I really like how she runs this program.
They work on all kinds of gross motor skills in this program. Each class they worked on at least one ball handling skill. This was very hard for Corbin. He couldn't stand that there was a room full of balls that he couldn't play with. I always liked it when he fell asleep on the way to class. Having him nap through the class was much easier than running after him and trying to keep him happy when he'd rather be playing ball like Leah and the other kids.
Lucky for Corbin, the last five minutes of every class was free time and the siblings waiting on the sidelines were allowed to join in too. Corbin always went straight for the balls. Sometimes I would shoot baskets in the big hoops for him. He loved that. Here's a picture of him thinking about throwing a football into the 10 foot basketball hoop. This little guy is not afraid to think BIG.
This basket was a little more his size. But I still got a kick out of watching him try to throw the big playground ball into it.
Here's Leah at the end of her last day of tumbling class with her gold medal and fruit snacks. She was so proud of herself and all the things she did in her tumbling class. She asks all the time when she can go to tumbling class again. She loves it so much. Hopefully I can get her into at least one more session before she's too old for the class.
No comments:
Post a Comment