Monday, August 18, 2014

Miller Flat Reservoir

Back at the beginning of July, we were invited to go to Miller Flat Reservoir with a couple of therapists that Ross works with (Mr. V and Dallin). We aren't typically "lake people" mostly because we don't have any water toys. So this was a great adventure for our kids. It didn't take us long to get settled in and have a good time. 

Leah was fascinated with the toy fishing poles from the moment she saw Dallin's kids playing with them. It didn't take her long to ask for a turn and from then on she nearly always had one in her hands. This shouldn't have been too much of a surprise since she is obsessed with sticks and string/ropes. If you put the two together, it keeps Leah busy casting and reeling ALL DAY LONG!
Corbin on the other hand was very content to play in the dirt and throw rocks in the water.
Leah and Ross went out with Mr. V and his wife to do some fishing. Leah was sure to take a pole with her. The toy poles didn't have a hook on them, but Leah was still baffled that it she wasn't catching any fish. She hasn't ever really been fishing, so I was a little worried how she would actually handle it if she saw them catch a real live fish. But Ross said she seemed fine with it when Mrs. V got one. 
Just after lunch, we were a bit surprised by a storm that came through. We didn't have time to pack things up. We just got as much out of the rain as we could and headed for our vehicles to wait out the storm. We let the kids hang out in the front seat with us. So we spent about an hour with all four of us crammed in the car like this. The kids had a great time playing with all the buttons and touching all over the fogged up windshield. The storm was pretty bad, it even started hailing a couple of times. But fortunately it cleared up nicely and we were able to enjoy the rest of the day at the reservoir.
After the storm, we decided to take the kids with us out in the paddle boats. Here's a couple of family shots. The kids look less than thrilled. Corbin wasn't too happy about wearing the life jacket and Leah was feeling too crammed in the front. She couldn't cast the fishing pole from there. 
Luckily Corbin settled down for a nap and Leah climbed in the back so that she could fish to her heart's content.
Here'a a picture of Dallin and some of his kids out fishing in the other paddle boat.
The place we went to is up Fairview Canyon. That area is beautiful up there. Being up Fairview Canyon always makes me think of my Grandpa Tucker. He loved that area so much. 
Mr. V and his wife love fishing and seemed to be able catch them all day long. He tried to get Leah to reel in a real fish he had caught with his fishing pole, but she was too afraid to. That didn't surprise me too much, but what did surprise me was when she helped him get the hook out. The fish had swallowed the hook and he was having a hard time reaching it. It is hard to tell from this picture, but she is right up there next to the fish's mouth holding the line tight while he's prying the hook out. I would not have gotten that close to a fish! Ugh!
Along with the paddle boats, Mr. V brought up their 4X4 ATV. So we took it for a little ride. It was fun to zip around in.

Because of the storm, we ended up staying a lot longer than we had planned. But I'm glad we stuck it out. It was a long day, but very enjoyable.

I took this picture on the way home because if you look really close you can see all the hand prints and drawing that Leah did on the windshield during the storm. I didn't notice it as much when we first stared down the canyon, but when the sun hit it just right, I could see just how much she had done. I was mostly amused by her name written right across the middle of my line of view.
Leah was so worn out on the way home, that she fell asleep while eating her Lunchable. Corbin on the other had a harder time falling asleep. I kept giving him food to keep him happy. He made a huge mess with the yogurt covered pretzels I was giving him. He looks like he's asleep in this picture, but he just closed his eyes as I snapped it.
In this picture, he had finally fallen asleep. You can see the yogurt all over him and his car seat. I ended up washing both of their car seats after this trip.

All and all I would say it was a great day at the reservoir! It was especially good to spend time with Ross's coworkers and their families. He's been working with them since before we were married and this was the first time I've met Mr. V. I hope we can do something like this again with them another time.

1 comment:

Stephanie Salmon said...

I spent my entire life at that lake! My grandpa's cabin is just up the hill past the locked gates. We went multiple times every summer. Such a beautiful area! I was just in Fairview Canyon this last weekend, but now we go to a different cabin.