Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Latest News...

So we had our regular appointment with the doctor on Wednesday. Everything was pretty routine and pretty uneventful until the doctor asked if we had any questions. So I brought up the gestational diabetes and asked if I would need to be induced early. Apparently that had been a slight oversight until this point, and to make a long story short, the doctor realized that we needed to get on top of things quick.

So I went back to the doctor again today. He did a quick ultrasound to check the amniotic fluid. That was normal. Then he did a non-stress test. She had a good heart beat - I could hear it all through the test. But she squirmed around so much during the test that the monitor was having a hard time getting a consistent reading. The doctor was glad that she was being so active. That's a good sign. But it was making the test take a lot longer than normal. He finally just held the monitor tight against my stomach and tried to follow her heart beat around until he could get a good consistent test reading. In the end, we did pass the non-stress test. Another good sign.

Then when he realized that I am 38 weeks today he decided to check to see if I was dilating yet. I wasn't exactly expecting that today, and wasn't too excited because I knew it would hurt (and I was right) but I figured "Sure, why not." He said I was dilated to a 2 or a 3. So things are progressing. Yet another good sign.

The next step is to have a growth scan this Wednesday morning at the hospital. This will measure the size of the baby to help determine if she is still small enough for a normal birth or if a c-section will be necessary.

The doctor doesn't like his patients with gestational diabetes to go past 39 weeks, so he went ahead and scheduled for us to be induced next Thursday. So if she hasn't decided to make an appearance on her own by then, she will be "helped along" so to speak. Regardless, she will definitely be early.

That means Ross and I are down to our last week (or less) of just the two of us. Soon our sweet little girl will be here and we will finally get to meet her! EXCITING!!!

3 comments:

Stephanie Salmon said...

Cyleste holy cow!!! This is so exciting! In less than a week your girl will be here. I hope your induction goes faster than mine if you do get induced. Good luck with everything and let me know if I can help you with anything.

eNJay & B said...

oh wow. that's crazy, but good.

keep us posted and let us know if you need any help with anything.

and the count down really begins...

The Otis Family said...

I can't wait to see pictures of my new niece. Make sure you take it easy Mom. This is going to be the last week of a family of 2.