That Tuesday morning started out very normally. Ross left for work around 7:30 and then I got up and started getting ready for work when I realized that my water had started to break and was leaking. So I called Ross (who hadn't even opened his office yet) and told him he better come back home. By this time contractions had started and were already coming five minutes or less apart. I also called my dad who works near by and he came over to help Ross give me a blessing before leaving for the hospital. We got to the hospital around 9:00 and by then the contractions were already very steady and intense and only a few minutes apart.
We thought it was odd though that our experience was nothing like what you see in the movies or on TV. The receptionist didn't seem in any rush to get us to a room. We were expecting hospital staff to come quickly to our aide with a wheel chair or something. Instead she told us to have a seat in the waiting room area and she would be with us in a minute. I was so glad that Ross was there at this time because it would have been extremely difficult to answer all the receptionist's questions (which I had already answered TWICE through their pre-admission process) while I was pacing the floor waiting for the contractions to subside. She finally took us to a room and left us there to wait for a nurse to come. We waited for what seemed like way too long (again not like the movies) before a nurse finally came to help us out.
When the nurse checked me, she said my water had definitely broke and that I was dilated to a 3 and 1/2. I was in a lot of pain by now and was ready for an epidural. We found out later that the baby was was sitting posterier at the time, so the contractions very painful across my back. (Luckily she got herself turned back around in time for actual delivery.)
After getting the epidural, I felt so much better and could just relax and wait for things to progress on their own. And that they did...at a very quick pace. An hour later I was at a 5 and another hour later up to an 8! The nurse was surprised at how fast I was progressing considering this was my first baby. Before long I was pushing and at 3:54 pm our little Leah was born. And our lives haven't been he same since...they've been better!!!
She was 7 lbs and 7 oz (exactly what I weighed) and was 18 inches long. She was born with lots of black hair (also just like me). I was so excited when the nurse told us our baby had lots of hair!
The proud Daddy!
The exhausted mommy!
Getting cleaned up.
All cleaned up and looking cute! Ross picked out the blue bow for her hair.
Here's just a few picutres of her admiring visitors. She had lots of people excited to finally meet her...
2 comments:
We couldn't be happier for you. Congrats. I look forward to meeting my new niece.
Congratulations! She is sure precious.
Post a Comment