Monday, June 25, 2012

Young Womens Girls' Camp 2012 - "Light the Torch"

I had the great opportunity to go with our Young Women to girls' camp again this year. Planning for girls' camp is always such a HUGE task, but when I see the fruits of our labors, I always feel like all the hard work was worth it.

This year, the Stake theme was "Light the Torch" based on the 2012 Mutual theme "Arise and shine forth that thy light may be a standard for the nations." (Doctrine and Covenants 115:5) and the scripture Matthew 5:16, "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." Our focus was on strentthening testimonies through good works and service.

Each ward chose a country to represent and also to provide some type of service for. Our ward's country was Germany. I loved learning about Germany, particularly about the great faith that the saints in Germany had, even through their many war-torn years. And for our service, we contatced a ward in Germany and sent them a package with letters, pictures and a variety of church items. And through a tender mercy of the Lord, a package back from them arrived in the mail the night before we left for camp...What an answer to prayers! The girls were SO excited to read their letters from their new pen pals and couldn't wait to write them back again. And I really enjoyed the yummy German chocolate they sent in our package!

I got to serve with some amazing Young Women leaders again this year. For three of them, it was their first time going to camp with our young women. By the end of the week (or probably even before that--like when we got there), all the leaders were exhausted. But I think they all had a good time, and like me, were glad they went. Here's some pictures of the amazing leaders I served with.
We had a lot of fun with our German theme. We made mini pretzels out of clay for our trading pins. And we handed out pretzels and played the human pretzel game at the Stake Mix 'n Mingle. Here's a pictures of a few of our girls wearing their German hats and suspenders.
On Wednesday, our ward went on an early morning hike. I didn't like getting up so early, but the hike was fun and beautiful. Here's a picture of the sunrise shining through the trees on some of our girls and also a group picture (minus the YW President who was taking the picture).
The girls (and leaders) loved playing the team-building games on the confidence course.
The girls loved it when the leaders were willing to join in the activities. Here's a picture of me getting ready to fall backwards into their hands in the Trust Fall. I also let them guide me blindfolded on the Stump Walk.
I love this picture. I think it is a great illustration of our theme, "Light the Torch."
While the girls and other leaders were out hiking, I set up a little "spa" for them to come back to and soak their feet. They loved it.
No girls' camp would be complete without lots of fun crafts.
Here's group picture taken after our ward did our flag ceremony presentation on Germany. We did our presentation at the Stake Morningside. We had to get up at 5:15 am that morning (sigh) after being up until after midnight for singing trees (double sigh). It was a great morningside, but needless to say, everyone was pretty grumpy later that day.
I wish I could have got more pictures at the waterfront, but my camera battery was dying on the last day of camp. But here's couple pictures of our girls canoing. Some of us leaders joined the girls in the canoes later for games. I had a great time chasing other canoes around the lake trying to pop the ballons tied to them.
Here's a picture of all our girls after their skit. We did a twist on the story "Little Red Riding Hood" where Sister Red, Sister Riding, and Sister Hood help convert the Big Bad Wolf.
It was an exhausting week, but I am so glad I got to go. I love being able to spend so much time with these girls that I love. And I especially love seeing them grow so much spiritually while they are there. Girls' Camp is a great way for the girls to get the "spiritual booster shot" that they so desperately need during their teenage years.

2 comments:

Jena said...

So true. Camp was huge for me growing up. And so were the leaders. Those girls LOVE YOU!!! Looks like you had so much fun!! Hope you get some sleep today :D

Cindy Anderson said...

awww. i'm sure you were such a fun camp leader!