Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Christmas Break & New Years

We had a fun, but busy Christmas break. It's great that Ross gets all that time off so that we aren't just stuck at home for the holidays. We spent a couple days at my parents' house. It snowed almost the whole time we were there, which somewhat limited what we could do. We did venture out Wednesday night to do sealings at the Oquirrh Mountain Temple. We were running behind and were worried we wouldn't get my dad back in time for his bishopric meetings, but there was hardly anyone there and a group had canceled their appointment. So they started the session early and got us right in. It was great being able to spend that time with my parents at such a special place.

The next day, Ross and I wanted to see "The Hobbit." But when we went out to our car, it was buried in snow and there was so much ice underneath that even after we got it unburied, we couldn't get enough traction to go anywhere. We used cardboard under the tires, and finally got it out. But by then, we had missed our movie time. So we tried for a later movie and were disappointed again when we found out we had showed up for the 3D showing. Instead of waiting another two hours, we went ahead and and watched it in 3D. It was the first 3D movie for either of us and we were surprised that we ended up liking the 3D experience better than we thought we would. However, we both agreed that 3D certainly wasn't necessary. And for the record, we both really liked "The Hobbit."

On Friday morning, I had to go to a lab for my 3-hour glucose test to see if I had gestational diabetes (which, not surprisingly, I ended up failing.) Afterward, I met up with my friends Lesley and Mandy for a lunch date at Winger's. It was so yummy, but I ate way too much since I was so hungry after not eating for my glucose test. I also took Leah with me and Lesley brought Hannah. Both girls had fun playing together at the restaurant.

That night began the wedding festivities for Ross's cousin, Katie. We went to a church for a family dinner and enjoyed some tasty taco salad. The next morning, we went to the Draper Temple for Katie and Jeremy's sealing. The temple was SO COLD that day. The wind was bitter cold and we felt frozen after just going from the car into the temple. It was a little warmer when we came back out, but after a group picture at the temple, everyone scattered to their cars as fast as they could to find refuge from the cold. Leah loved all the wedding festivities and still wants to talk about when Katie and Jeremy got married. Here's a picture of the happy couple.
Before going to the reception that night, we joined Don, Tricia and Kirsten at Noodles & Co. for dinner. It was nice to have a fun visit with them. I helped Leah take this picture of Ross and Don at the restaurant. Apparently Leslies love to make faces for the camera.
The reception was great. I loved their refreshments! They had cups of caramel and cheesy popcorn, cupcakes, and a fun hot chocolate bar. You could pour some hot chocolate and then pick a variety of mix-ins. My favorite was the spoons dipped in caramel or chocolate. I, of course, chose caramel. As you stirred your hot chocolate, the caramel would slowly melt and flavor your drink. It was so delicious!

We had to leave the reception early for our next activity. We went to the bishop's house to have a dinner party with his family and the 2nd counselor's family. It was nice to visit with those families and get to know one another a little better.

For New Years, we went back up to my parents' house. But as luck would have it, I ended up getting sick while we were there. I napped both days we were there and just sat around the rest of the time. Even though Leah wasn't feeling great herself, she still loved every minute she got to spend at Grandpa's house. And Ross who felt fine, went to another movie while we were there, enjoyed the time relaxing, and watched a lot of football.

New Year's Eve all my siblings came over for a party. And our family friends, Steve and Michele, joined us later for games. My nephews were so excited for midnight to come so that they could go outside and bang pots and pans. My parents even got some fun party favors for the kids to have (hats, horns, sashes, etc.) But sadly, since I wasn't feeling all that great, I didnt' get any pictures from our New Year celebrations. I also want to note that while all the other kids were outside celebrating and making lots of noise, my daughter was sitting at the table snacking - she's such a Leslie!

After we got home, my cold came on strong and I spend the next few days feeling pretty miserable. Even two weeks later, I still have some lingering symptoms. Getting a cold when you are pregnant is the pits!!! One highlight of that time was getting to visit with Lesley and her son, Seth, one more time before they left to go back to California.

With being so busy and then getting so sick, our Christmas decorations stayed up longer than I would have liked. I still feel like my house is in shambles and I can't seem to get back on top of the house work. But I did manage to get this picture of Leah before we took the tree down and put all the Christmas stuff away. I have taken a pictures of Leah in this Santa hat for the past two years and wanted to get one this year to see how much she's grown.
You know, the holidays are great and I always love the fun things we do and all the time we get to spend with friends and family. But I must admit that I also feel a great relief when it is all over and put away for another year.

No comments: