Wednesday, February 20, 2013

A Close Call

On the morning of February 7th, I woke up to a phone call from my mom saying that she was at the hospital with my Grandpa Putnam. He had fell that morning and wasn't able to get up. So my grandma called my dad for help and they decided he needed to go to the hospital. He hadn't been feeling well for several days. Apparently he had suffered a heart attack a few days earlier.

For those who don't know my grandpa, he is 94 years old. He has had his fair share of health problems, but has always been able to overcome them and keep going strong. At first the doctors were very optimistic. Despite his age, he was in good health and they figured inserting a stint would fix things. However, when they went in, they found that his heart was too blocked to get the stint in. Instead they would have to just use medication and hope that the rest of his heart could take over the workload. At that point the doctors said he could get worse or he could get better. They weren't sure.

With that news, I decided to load up Leah and go visit him at the hospital. By the time I got there he was in stable condition. He was still pretty weak, but overall in good spirits. Luckily I have an amazing Grandpa. As the day went on, he got better and better. Before long he was up and moving around. They were going to try to insert a stint again, but decided that since the rest of his heart was taking over just fine that it wasn't worth the risk. He hospital staff was surprised that someone of his age would have so much spunk and could recover so quickly. We went to visit him again after he was moved out of ICU and it was so nice and reassuring to see him doing so well. They set up some home health care and after less than a week in the hospital he got to go home.

I love my Grandpa SO much! I realize that at 94 he probably doesn't have much time left with us. But I am so glad that this time we got to keep him a little longer.

No comments: