Monday, July 21, 2014

6th Anniversary

June 6th marked Ross and I's 6th anniversary! So we decided to celebrate by taking an overnight trip to Park City. My parents were kind enough to take the kids for the night so that we wouldn't have to go with kids in tow. Leah loves to stay overnight at her grandpa's house, so we weren't worried about her at all. But it was our first night without Corbin, so I wasn't sure just how he would do without us. However, he slept for them about as good as he sleeps for us (which meant that he had a few tossing and turning fits during the night). So I guess that means he did fine too. 

On Thursday the 5th, we dropped the kids off and headed for Park City. After checking into our hotel, we went out to eat at the Blue Iguana on Main Street. Eating out at a great Mexican restaurant is a favorite activity of ours. It was no surprise that the food was delicious!

After dinner we took a little walk down Main Street. And then went to Park City Mountain Resort because we had read that they had miniature golfing there. But when we arrived, the resort looked like a ghost town. This was especially strange since it was only about 7:00 pm and there was still plenty of daylight left. After looking around for a bit we found a poster that said all the summer activities started on June 6th. Apparently we were a day early. So we just went back to the hotel and soaked in the pool and hot tub for a while.

The next morning we went back to Park City Mountain Resort and this time found it bustling with activity. We decided to take a ride down the Alpine Slide. Here we are riding up on the chair lift. You can see the slide down below our dangling feet. 
It was such a beautiful day. I don't know why, but I always like to see ski resorts in the summer time. I think it is fun to see all the slopes carved into the mountains covered in green mountain grass.
Here we are getting ready for our descent. I had been on the Alpine Slide years ago, but didn't remember much about it. This was Ross's first time. I think he was a little bit nervous because he wasn't sure just how fast the sleds would go.
As it turns out, he didn't have much to worry about. We could control the speed of the sleds and go as fast or as slow as we wanted. I was a little less cautious than him and got going pretty fast at times. But Ross had a harder time getting his sled to go at a faster pace. So I got to the bottom faster and was able to get a picture of him coming down the last little stretch.

After the slide, we decided to go on a little hike up the mountain side. One of the resort workers told us that if we hiked all the way up to the chair lift, we could get a free ride down. The idea of getting a free ride on a chair lift was very enticing to me! However, the trail was about 5 miles long. and we weren't really prepared to hike that far. So after going up the mountain for an hour or so, we came back down. We did find some snow that hadn't melted yet. And the view from up higher on the mountain was beautiful! We were really glad we took the time to hike up there.
After our hike, we got some lunch and ice cream and then headed back to relieve my parents from taking care of our kids. All and all, it was a nice little get away and it was especially great to be able to spend so much one-on-one time together as a couple. I wish we could do it more often. So here's to six great years together, and many, many, many more to come. Love you Ross!

No comments: