At the end of June we had our annual Van Tucker Family Reunion. Van is my wonderful, dearly beloved Grandpa who passed away 13 years ago. We went to the Spruces campground in Big Cottonwood Canyon. This was a favorite camping place for our Tucker family from when I was growing up. It is always fun to be able to go back there, even if it is just for a day outing.
Corbin had a great time walking around and exploring things.
My aunt Susie and her family were in charge of this year's reunion. They planned some fun activities including a scavenger hunt for the little ones and some games we could all participate in. Here's some of the great-grandchildren lined up and waiting for the next activity.Corbin loves playing with Leah's sunglasses.
When our family gets together, one the favorite activities is the water balloon sling shot. My cousins fill up a whole bunch of water balloons and let the kids launch them across the way and some of the adults and older kids try to catch them. The kids love it and in no time at all the balloons are gone.
I found Corbin a little water balloon to play with. It had a tiny hole in it and was slowly leaking, but for Corbin a ball is a ball and he liked it regardless of the hole and the fact that it kept spraying him with a tiny stream of water. And it was great because it didn't ever break when he dropped it on the ground. So he thoroughly enjoyed playing with it until it was just a wilted little shell of a balloon and I had to take it away from him (which he didn't like).
One of our Tucker family's favorite dishes to eat is "Dutch Oven Heart Attack Potatoes." It's made with sausage, bacon, potatoes, onions, sour cream and mozzarella cheese. Certainly not healthy, but oh so yummy. When some of us gathered to peel the potatoes, Leah decided she wanted to help out too. She's really been into peeling vegetables lately and my aunt had a peeler tthat was really easy to use. So Leah had a great time helping peel potatoes. I'm glad she thought it would be a fun project. I HATED peeling potatoes when I was growing up and still have a hard time getting myself to want to peel them.
Here's some pictures of some of the family members gathered round the campfire waiting for dinner to cook.
Leah and especially Makynlee became good friends with my cousin's husband, Chad, while we were there. They climbed right up on his lap and wanted to hang out with him all evening. I think it had a lot to do with the game they were playing on his phone.
Our family loves to cook in Dutch Ovens (even when we're not camping). This definitely came from my Grandpa Tucker. He was an amazing cook and was always up for something cooked in a Dutch Oven. I don't ever remember going camping with him when there wasn't something cooked in a Dutch Oven.
While dinner was cooking, someone got out a bubble machine to keep the little ones entertained. It certainly worked. The kids crowed around it and couldn't get enough of chasing and popping bubbles. We had a hard time keeping them from climbing on the tables to reach the bubbles.
Like all good things, the day came to an end way too soon and it was time to clean up and head back down the mountain. It was fun to get together with my Tucker family. We were such a close family when I was growing up. Now it seems like we just don't spend time together like we used to. It was especially great to reminisce and think about all the great memories I have from time spent with my Grandpa Tucker. He truly was an amazing man and even after all this time, I still miss him so much. It makes me so grateful for the great Plan of Salvation, for the eternal nature of families, and the knowledge that I will see him again! I love you Grandpa!
No comments:
Post a Comment