Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Interesting Experience...

I had the interesting experience of doing something this weekend that I've never done before...attending the funeral of someone I did not know. The father of a family from back in Oregon where Ross grew up passed away last week. The couple had moved to our area within the last 10 years or so to be closer to their children and grandchildren. So the funeral and burial were near by.

The reason I found this experience so interesting is because even though I did not know this man I was still able to feel the Spirit touch me as I attended his funeral. I guess this doesn't really come as that big of a surprise to me. That is one of the great things about an LDS funeral - that you can feel the Spirit no matter who's life you are celebrating.

As his family told stories about him and what he taught them about life and the gospel, I found myself thinking of the many great men in my life that have also taught me through their examples and their testimonies of the gospel. It also reminded me of the things that I want to make sure I teach my children and most importantly make sure they understand that I have a testimony of Jesus Christ and his restored gospel.

In any case, I was glad I was able to support Ross and attend this funeral with him. I may not have known this man before, but I feel like I know him a little better now and that his life has touched mine even after his passing.

3 comments:

Stephanie Salmon said...

I really do love funerals. They always inspire you to be better.

The Otis Family said...

I don't really like funerals even for people I know. I do enjoy seeing everyone though. I know Mom enjoyed having someone to go with.

eNJay & B said...

hey, sorry it's taken me so long to officially congratulate you on the new blog. i knew you'd come around to the true way to chronicle your lives at some point.

give ross a pat on the back too for doing some handy housework!