So they've diagnosed me with gestational diabetes. Not fun. But I just remind myself that this is better than a lot of other pregnancy complications that are out there. Fortunately I don't have to take medication for it at this point. However, I have had to attend a diabetes class where they taught me about how to eat better so my body can properly process the carbohydrates and sugars I eat and keep my blood sugar in balance. The worst part is that the foods I love to eat have a lot of carbs or sugars - pasta, bread, rice, ice cream - you know, all the good stuff!
I've been testing my blood sugar six times a day for about a week. (I have some family members who are diabetic, so using a device to prick my finger and check my blood is not a new concept to me and really doesn't bother me.) I'm learning what my body can handle, what food combinations I should stay away from and that exercise (or at least moving around more) does make a difference.
The funny thing is that typically I don't eat a lot of sweets anyway. So you'd think that part would be easy. But sometimes when someone tells you that you can't have something the craving for it suddenly becomes stronger. I haven't caved in yet. But after this baby comes I already told Ross I want a big milkshake (or a least a bowl of ice cream).
The things we do to keep our children healthy and safe. I guess I should just start getting used to making sacrifices for my children. I have a feeling this won't be the first...
3 comments:
Oh wow! That really stinks. I'm glad you posted this though. Brandon keeps asking me, did you talk to Cyleste about her test yet? And I keep forgetting to ask you! Well, thanks heavens for blogs I guess. I'm sorry you have to watch what you eat so carefully. That doesn't sound fun at all. I'm sure once you meet your sweet baby girl though that it will all be worth it!
Wow. I hear ya. Tell me I can't have something and it's the ONLY thing I want. I hope you don't have to go on any medication. We're thinking of you and hoping that baby doesn't do anymore damage to you.
Found your blog off of Brian and Norma's. So sorry to hear about the pregnancy related troubles. I hope that the next few weeks go quickly so you can get your milkshake. We'll be checking in on you guys!
Post a Comment