We had a pretty fun, but relatively low-key 4th of July this year. We decided not to attend the parade this year. We didn't know of anyone going and didn't want to venture into the throngs by ourselves. So we all slept in instead (definitely okay with me). Then in the afternoon, we went to Brian and Norma's for a BBQ along with Ross's mom.
But the highlight of our day was being able to go to Stadium of Fire. A friend called me the night before and said she had been given a couple of tickets from work and wouldn't be using them. So she gave them to Ross and me. I have enjoyed the Stadium of Fire a couple of times in the past, but Ross had never been before. So it was fun to be able to go and enjoy that together.
I love all the great patriotic components of the Stadium of Fire. They do a great job of celebrating the American spirit of the 4th of July. Here's a picture of representatives from each of the military branches bringing in flags for the flag ceremony.
I always enjoy seeing the young local talent in the dance and musical numbers. The opening musical guest was Scott McCreery. I didn't even know who he was before going to the concert (sorry to all you "American Idol" fans out there). But Ross and I were both pleasantly surprised by his songs and great voice.
Celebrity Sighting! Here's a picture of Steve Young and his wife climbing over everyone to get to their seats six rows in front of us. (Later in the evening, The Beach Boys dedicated their song "Barbara Ann" to them. So they both got up and jammed out during that song along with most of us around them.)
Stan Ellsworth from "American Ride" made an appearance to talk about some of Provo's first 4th of July celebrations.
The main attraction for the night was The Beach Boys. This year marks their 50th anniversary tour. I have to admit, I really didn't think that The Beach Boys would bring much of a crowd. I thought it was silly to bring in such an "old" band. But boy was I surprised! Granted, I'm sure they didn't have the same moves and level of energy that they once had. But it turned out to be one of the funnest concerts I've ever been to. Beach balls were bouncing all around, and it seemed like everyone (young and old) knew the songs and enjoyed singing and dancing along. They are such icons in American music, that afterward I thought it was a great idea to have them sing at a patriotic event like the Stadium of Fire. It was also great because I felt like it was a nice family-friendly atmosphere that people of all ages could enjoy together. This picture of them is not great, but it is my proof that I saw The Beach Boys perform live in concert.
And of course there was my favorite part of the night...THE FIREWORKS!!! (I have always loved fireworks!) This year they did a tribute to James Bond since it has also been 50 years since the first movie starring "Agent 007." The fireworks were synchronized to music from the movies.
These pictures clearly don't do the event justice, but I wanted to include them anyway. I love fireworks!
I also want to send a big shout out to Ross's cousin, Katie, who was willing to take Leah that night so we could enjoy the concert without a restless two-year-old in tow. Leah had a great time with Katie and Julie. They bought her Coldstone ice cream, took her to watch some of the fireworks, taught her how to roll down grassy hills, and let her watch "Up" until we came to pick her up. I know Leah had a lot more fun with Katie than she would have had stuck on our laps for three hours. Thanks Katie, you're a life saver!!!
2 comments:
Fun! I was looking for a parade buddy, too!! Maybe next year.
i'm so glad you all got to go to stadium of fire. it was really cool.
Post a Comment