Saturday, October 12, 2013

September Stuff

September was a busy month full of fun stuff. Life hasn't slowed down much lately, so I am really behind on getting posts up. So here goes...

At the beginning of September Leah started dance lessons. She is in a class with her friend Millie and her cousin Kylie. She loves to dance and was really excited about taking lessons. She did really great the first few weeks. She was great at following the teacher and was happy all through class. But the last couple of weeks, she has been more apprehensive and it has taken longer for her to warm up and start dancing. But she still loves it and hopefully by the time recital comes she won't be too nervous to perform. 
 
At dance, the moms can watch through the windows in the hallway. I snapped a few pictures of her dancing one week. She's the one in purple. I love the second picture because she was dancing on her tippy toes. She walks around on her toes all the time just like I used to (and sometimes still do). Plus I used to ballet dance on toe shoes way back in the day. So it was fun to see my little girl dancing just like me.
I few days before the first home football game, BYU hosted an open house thing at the football stadium. So took the kids over to check it out while Ross was at mutual. By they time we got there, most of the crowds were gone, but we still found a few fun things to do. Leah got her face painted, we hung out in the stadium chairs, took a tour of the locker room, shared a churro, and danced with the cheerleaders. One of Leah's favorite things was just walking up and down the stadium stairs.
On the 15th, my wonderful Grandpa Putnam turned 95! So the day before we had an open house birthday party at their church. I'm so glad that we still have him around and that he's so healthy. I hope I can be doing as well as he is if I make it to 95! 
The 19th was "International Talk Like a Pirate Day." We were invited to a party at our neighbors house, so we dressed up to celebrate the occasion!
I wasn't sure how to dress Corbin up like a pirate. So I just put a dollar bill over each ear and made him my little "Buck-an-ear."
For treats we had goldfish crackers, pirate peg legs (pretzels) and these yummy brownie cupcakes with fun skull and cross bone decorations made from white chocolate. And the kids dug in the sand for buried treasure.
Ross's birthday was the last Saturday of the month. So we spent the weekend celebrating. Here's a picture of Ross and Corbin at Tucanos after dinner.
Ross sent an email to his family telling them about his birthday, so I decided to just post it here so you can read about it in his own words.

"Family,

I appreciated all of the well wishes that I received from you for my birthday. Thank you for the cards, emails, phone conversations, etc. I’ve been meaning to send this note out for a few days, and I finally have some time to compose my message. I was dealing with some nasal and sinus congestion over my birthday weekend, but otherwise it was a fun couple of days. 
 
During morning announcements last Friday at the elementary school, my name was mentioned for a birthday and several people, including a handful of students I don’t even know, wished me a Happy Birthday. As students came in for therapy throughout the day, I asked about seven or eight to guess how old they thought I would be and I had guesses ranging from 16 to 80. I can be grateful that I'm closer to 16 than 80.
 
Friday night I went to the BYU football game against Middle Tenn St. with Cyleste’s family. Cyleste and Leah gave me some presents- a BYU shirt to wear to the game and a bag of pistachios. For Leah, a gift of pistachios is a win-win situation because she likes to help me eat them. We prepared some taco soup with french bread before the game and we had some lemon cake at home when the game was over. It was fairly cold Friday night in Provo. I think the overnight low dropped to around 38 degrees.
 
At 8:30 Saturday morning I was at the stake center to begin filling the baptismal font for two baptisms in our ward.  While I was waiting for the font to fill, I had a great visit with Kaye, which really helped pass the time.  I then conducted two baptismal services and finally made it home a little after 1pm. How’s that for a birthday morning? Later, Cyleste and I dropped Leah off with a babysitter and took Corbin with us to lunch. We planned to eat at Tucanos, the Brazilian meat place, but we were told it was at least an hour wait. Instead we went to Bajio’s nearby and didn’t have to wait. After we returned from lunch, my head was pounding from the head congestion and I was ready for a nap. I slept for awhile and then Cyleste got ready for the Relief Society broadcast, where she saw Kirsten sing in the MTC choir. I stayed with the kiddos at home and then we opened birthday cards and I relaxed with a little Saturday night college football.
 
On Monday, we tried Tucanos again for dinner and enjoyed a nice meat filled meal. With the Birthday Club deal (2 for 1), and using the remaining balance on a gift card, our two meals cost less than $7.00. Not too shabby. During dinner, Corbin sat quietly in his car seat and was as happy as could be. After dinner we stopped for an ice cream cone at Baskin Robbins, and I enjoyed a flavor called “Baseball Nut,” which was fantastic. While finishing our ice cream, LaVell Edwards came in and ordered. At first we were not quite sure if it was him. He has definitely aged, and he looked rather frail, but it was him alright.  
 
It’s nice to have a birthday on a weekend, so you can stretch out the fun for a few days. As you may know, I’m flying to visit Kyle and Amy’s family. I leave next week Thursday and return on Tuesday afternoon during my Fall Break. I will fly into Pittsburgh and hopefully I will find some Pittsburgh Pirates playoff gear.
 
Norma invited us to their house for dinner last night. We enjoyed brie and apple sandwiches with wild rice, and assorted fruit. We had a really nice visit with them and I even spoke with Mom briefly while we were there. I love it when a birthday can spill over into several days. Thank you, Norma and family. 
 
We are busy with church, work, and family events but we are all doing well. I’m also feeling much better and think the sickness has nearly passed. We love you and are grateful for your support.   
 
Ross and family"
 
I'm sure there are other things I could write about for September, but I'm just going to hit the highlights for now.

No comments: