During spring break we got the sad news that this man, Walter Cummings, had passed away. Walt married my Grandma Tucker about 2 1/2 years ago and hadn't been doing well for the past month or so. Although we don't know the exact cause of his death, it was very likely that his worn out heart had just finally given up. He was a sweet and loving man and a great companion for my grandma during a time that she really needed someone. Despite his failing health, he was a spry guy. He performed in the "Senior Idol" competition at the senior center just hours before he passed away.
Looking back, I can also see how much of a blessing it was for Walt to have my grandma come into his life. At the time that he met my grandma, Walt was basically living out of his van. He was staying with some family, but as I understand, it wasn't a great situation. After meeting my grandma, he started taking the missionary discussions and going to church. He didn't have to get baptized because he was baptized as a child although he didn't remember it ever happening. After they got married, he was able receive the priesthood, go to the temple and was able to be sealed to his first wife (whom he was married to for over 40 years).
When he died, his funeral was attended by lots of friends from the senior center, members from the ward, and our big family. Very few of his family from his first marriage were in attendance. He told my grandma that if she had not married him, he knew that he would have died much sooner. And I realize now that he likely would have died alone with few people to morn his passing. Instead, his life was celebrated by many and he peacefully died ready to return to his Heavenly Father. And because they had been sealed, he was able to be reunited with his beloved wife, Betty.
Those few days after Walt passed away were rough for my grandma, I'm sure. This is the second time that my grandma has been left a widow. My dear grandpa had died 13 years ago (almost to the day). And he and Walt's passing were eerily similar. So I'm sure all the memories of losing my grandpa came rushing back to her too. But in all of the craziness, I made a lunch date with my grandma so that I could spend some one-on-one time with her. My cousin, Carli, came along too. It was great to be able to spend some time with her and be able to talk about some of the tender experiences she had during this hard time.
We were at the funeral home for a while visiting with family. I would have liked to have done more visiting, but my kids were more interested in playing and running around at the funeral home. It was a little frustrating since it was neither the time or the place for things like that. But anyway, here's a picture of Corbin and Jackson (my cousin's son). They were born only about 6 days apart (Corbin is older), but there's about 10 pounds difference between these two. They are at opposite ends of the percentage charts, and I think it is so funny so see them next to each other.Leah and Makynlee were SO restless. I finally made them go outside to keep them from running amok inside. In an attempt to get them to sit still for a while, I had them sit on this bench and make different faces for me. They loved hamming it up for me and it only lasted for about 3 minutes, but the enjoyment I will get from these pictures will last for years to come.
This one of Makynlee smashing her cheeks makes me smile every time! What a couple of goofy little girls!
The funeral service was really nice. Although I liked Walt just fine, I wasn't all that close to him. So I didn't plan on crying. But I certainly ended up needing more tissues. The spirit hit me so strong so many times. And it didn't help that they had us grandchildren and great-grandchildren sing "Families Can Be Together Forever" as part of the funeral service. That was a song that us grandchildren sang at my grandpa's funeral too, in that very same chapel even.The burial took place a couple hours away in Emery County. Walt's first wife was cremated, so there wasn't a predetermined burial plot waiting for him as you would expect for a widower. So my grandma decided to put Betty's ashes in with Walt and bury them both next to my grandpa's grave. It had been years since I had been back to my grandpa's grave so I decided travel down with my parents for the burial service. Here is my grandpa's headstone as well as his parents' headstone that is located nearby.
Walt was a proud Veteran of the Korean War. So one of my dad's cousins arranged for a military service at the grave site. It was very touching.
I love my sweet grandma very much. It is hard to see her go through so many hard times, but she doesn't let it get her down. She is a woman of great faith and I know she will be greatly blessed for all the good she has done for my grandpa and then again for Walt.
Here is a picture of some of our family who were able to travel down for the grave site services. Not everyone could make the whirl wind journey there and back. The little woman sitting next to my grandma is Walt's little sister, Ellie. It was nice to meet her through all of this. She took losing her brother very hard. I hope that she is doing better now.
I guess my point in writing about all this is because things like this make me realize just how important the gospel is to me. I am so thankful to have a knowledge and testimony of the great plan of happiness and to know that there is life after death and that we can see our loved ones again. I'm grateful for our Savior, Jesus Christ, who made salvation possible and for a loving Heavenly Father who knows each of us by name. When my grandma met Walt, she wasn't looking for someone to marry. But our Heavenly Father knew Walt and knew that my grandma could help him. So He led him to her. I cannot deny the Divine intervention that occurred in this sweet man's life. And I'm sure I'll see him again someday. Thank you Walt. You were part of our family for a short time, but your memory and influence will continue to live on.

1 comment:
What a great tribute to Walt, Cyleste! I love how you can see the Lord's hand in the lives of others. :)
Post a Comment